Waynesville Coaching Requirements
All candidates for coaching positions must call Ryan Hill at (513) 897-8756 to schedule an appointment to discuss coaching and fill out the flowchart. After meeting with AD, all coaches must complete the next steps BEFORE they are allowed to coach a single day.
- Call central office at 513-897-6971 to schedule an appointment to get fingerprinted and fill out your payroll paperwork. (Fees as follows: BCI $30, FBI $35, Both $60, once every 5 years) unless you are already a district employee or have fingerprints in the system which are less than one year old.
2. All coaches must then complete the OHSAA online course Ohio – Fundamentals of Coaching. To access this course, please visit NFHS Learn, log into your account or create one if you have not already done so, and click on the courses tab. The course is $65 and it takes about 7-8 hours to complete. This is a one-time requirement and will not need to be repeated.
- Every three years, all coaches must be First Aid certified. You can look at the Dayton Sports Medicine website under their PASP Course tab on the side of the page to see when the class is being offered.
A second option is to go to NFHS Learn (First Aid for Coaches Course) and take it online for $45. You will create an account on this site before you take a course. If you choose this version, print out the certificate and bring a copy of it to our follow-up meeting.
A third option is to complete this course when offered by Waynesville Athletic Dept. at no cost to you.
- After you have received your 1st Aid certificate, you will need to go online to Ohio Department of Education to apply for your Pupil Activity Permit.
- If you are certain you do not have a SAFE account, set one up following the instructions here.
- There are now 3, 4, and 5 year options depending on what you are available to receive. When applying the superintendent code is Wayne Local Schools. The cost is $45 for the permit.
- Every two years, all coaches must be certified in CPR. You can 1) go to ICPRI and take it online for $19.95. If you choose this version, you must print out and sign the certificate and bring it with you to our follow-up meeting. Or 2) complete this course when offered by Waynesville Athletic Department at no cost to you.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training (each year):
Beginning in 2017: each year, coaches must review the Ohio Department of Health's new video and related fact sheet. Although districts may choose how they will verify completion, the Department encourages use of its Learning Management System (LMS). Access LMS through individual SAFE accounts. On the LMS homepage at top right, select the Course Catalog. Then search for sudden cardiac arrest to find the course. After permit holders view the materials and pass a short test, they can earn their certificates of completion.
For any individuals who are having difficulty accessing the LMS, the Department suggests that districts ask these applicants to review the video and related materials on the Ohio Department of Health website.
- Finally, every three years, all coaches must complete the course Concussion in Sports – What You Need to Know since the new state law went into effect on April 26, 2013. Please visit NFHS Learn and log into your account in order to complete this course. This course is currently free to take and lasts approximately 15 minutes.
- Once you have all of these steps completed, you must call Ryan Hill to set up your follow-up meeting. You will need to bring hard copies of all of your certifications.
- No coach, paid or volunteer, will be permitted to work with our student-athletes until all of the requirements are met.
Summary of charges:
Fingerprinting – BCI $30; FBI $35; Both $60 (every 5 years)
Fundamentals of Coaching Course - $65 (one time requirement)
First Aid Course - $45 (every time PAP is expired) (Free if completed at Waynesville)
Pupil Activity Permit - $45 (every 3, 4, or 5 years)
CPR Course - $19.95 (every 2 years) (Free if completed at Waynesville)